When you have infected tissues surrounding your teeth, a common cause is gum disease. If left untreated in adults, gum disease can lead to tooth loss, and some studies even link severe gum disease (also called periodontal disease) with heart disease, diabetes and stroke.
Gum Disease Symptoms
Gum disease is painless and can often go undiscovered; however, there are highly noticeable gum disease symptoms including:
- Tender, red or swollen gums
- Gums that bleed easily and regularly
- Gums that have receded from your teeth
- Visible white spots or plaque on your gums
- Mouth sores
- Loosening or separating teeth
- Persistent bad breath or bad taste
- Noticeable change in your bite
If you have any of the gum disease warning signs above, we urge you to make a dentist appointment. Martinez Family Dental can diagnose and treat mild to severe gum disease with a variety of methods.